The mission of the Center for Research in Extreme Scale Technologies (CREST) is to advance the state of the art in high performance computing (HPC) system software and hardware and their applications to solve the most significant computational challenges facing the US today. As an essential complement to this CREST expands the 21st century workforce in the US through High Performance Computing (HPC) education and awareness. In so doing CREST advances US global competitiveness and leadership.
The strategy of CREST is to create new software and hardware technologies that enable parallel execution of computer programs at the extremely large and small scales. CREST focuses particularly on creation of technologies to enable effective use of dynamic, adaptive, and asynchronous parallelism in extremely large scale computational systems and efficient fine-grained parallelism in small scale devices.
CREST supports Indiana University’s mission and advances quality of life in the State of Indiana in several ways. CREST
- enhances the accomplishments, reputation, and ranking of the IU School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering (SICE) as a leader in the field of High Performance Computing.
- enables and supports new research possibilities for our colleagues in SICE; and enable all IU researchers to address and solve challenges that are today beyond the capabilities of current HPC technology implementations.
- serves as the third pillar of Indiana University’s efforts in high performance computing, adding to the already existing excellent professional cyberinfrastructure support (programming & consulting) and world-class HPC systems and data center facilities.
- advances workforce development through education in HPC at the undergraduate, graduate, and mid-career education levels through courses, tutorials, and the current best HPC textbook that exists in the English language.
- aids economic growth in south-central Indiana by converting CREST inventions into useful commercial products and spinning off new start-up companies.
CREST is part of the School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering (SICE), and is affiliated with the IU Pervasive Technology Institute.